June 8, 2009

The digital revolution

A couple of weeks ago, I caught the video for the White Rabbits on Late Night.

If you were in my classroom for the next few days after that, I'm sure you remember because I played the song "Percussion Gun" pretty constantly.

I'd played the YouTube video a few dozen times over, and I wanted to hear more. My first instinct was to open up iTunes and see if I could buy the song.

No popping open the library website...

No asking students if anybody has the cd to borrow...

No checking their website.

Straight to iTunes to buy the cd.

Because iTunes has made it easy and legal and relatively cheap, I was willing to buy the entire album sight unseen, something that would have been anathema to me even a year ago. I didn't, but my first instinct certainly was to do such.

I've always been a cautious music buyer, purchasing albums in only two situations - a small cadre of my favorite artists (at various times, Neil Young, Wilco, Lyle Lovett, the Beasties, John Mellencamp, etc) put out something new or I'd borrowed and heard almost an entire album from a not yet established band (they need the cash and the promotional love) and enjoyed about 75%+ of the album.

Most of the rest of the new music I would get, I got by checking out the cd and grabbing the one...two...eight songs that I liked from the album. Sure, it wasis illegal, but I justified it in my head that in any of a half dozen ways (it's only a little illegal...they've already got a bunch of money...I go to their concerts anyway...the record company would just get most of the money...it's easy). I still do all of that, sure, but my first instinct now if just to pop open iTunes and pay for the music.

The music people have clearly won with me, at least.

I've gone from being willing to steal the music - not quite to the extent of Napster and Limewire, but steal it none the less, I know - to being willing to give them my money because they've made it so frickin' easy.

This is a musical revolution the likes of which I've certainly never known in my lifetime. I was born in the era of the 8-track, came of age at the dawn of the cassette, and became a music consumer in the time of the cd. Of those, only the cassette could have possibly scared the music industry in the same way that the switch to music without a physical housing has done. They knew that once the cassette came into being, the power for people to copy - and even chop up and rearrange - their music had been unleashed and the record companies would never again be the same for it.

The cd revolution swung the other way, favoring the music companies because the cd was static, unyielding, and pricier. There was no way - for a decade, anyway - for us to take music from a cd, maintain the cd-quality sound, and do anything to alter the package. You bought the album, you might loan out the full cd, but you couldn't make a mix cd. You couldn't copy a cd onto another cd. Onto a cassette? Sure, but that wasn't the point. Cds were cooler - better sound, more durable packaging, neater and shinier than cassettes.

But then came the digital revolution. We could take music from cd without losing any bit of sound quality, save it to our computers, make new cds or send the music out through the ether to any of a half million of our closest friends with almost no effort at all.

And the music industry was screwed...and scared...and angry.

They started to sue. Every transgression was viewed as grand larceny, a single event of file sharing was accused of being tantamount to stealing the entire album masters and was prosecuted in the same way.

...until a few industrious souls found ways to let the freedom of the music stay but to let those of us who would rather do the right thing, rather do the legal thing simply pay for that freedom.

At first there were hiccups - drm and Apple's instance on the AAC formatting being the most painful - but I feel I'm fairly safe to say that those hiccups have largely been passed by, and we're ready to rock the digital music world.

We've got hard drives large enough to back up thousands and thousands of songs. The sound quality is outstanding. The music is portable on tiny players and in our cars.

Viva la digital, folks.

4 comments:

achilles3 said...

I don't pay. And I will never again. Because I don't pay I am listening to better, more diverse music, I'm playing my own music, I'm writing my own music, I'm able to provide more, better advice to people that want music to listen to and record labels/industry execs (who are the devil and do NOTHING to promote the creativity music needs) are dying and I like watching.
If a band wants to make money they should tour. That's plenty.
Mark it and count it, if in the future I play music that people like I will not care if they "steal" it over the net. I just hope they have the means to come see me do it live.

PHSChemGuy said...

Lakes, I look forward to the day that you can finally take your wishy washy thoughts and form them into a strong opinion. You spend so much time going back and forth in your arguments, that it's sometimes hard to tell on just which side of an argument you fall.

Lakes = dogmatism

The music is made by people. Those people deserve the right to treat it as they want - to play it on their back porch for free, to tour with it and get paid that way, or to record their music so that we have to pay for the rights to listen at our leisure.

To take what they've made - what they've put out and told you that you need to pay for it - and take it without paying is the equivalent of walking into the corner store and pocketing a candy bar just because they're already making enough money.

It's thievery.

I've done it, I have to admit to that. But to claim that you have some sort of moral high ground to steal music from musicians - which is what you're saying that you do - just so you can give people advice and be creative yourself seems an odd position to me.

You are stealing.

And I'm happy that I don't have to do it anymore.

achilles3 said...

The funniest thing about your moral high ground rant (I'm a thief and you were just one once) is the fact that you didn't pay anyone for the poignant cartoon strip (art) at the bottom of your very post.

Or the Federer pics above that.
Or any of the other images (art) that you post on your blog ever.
And so if it's on YouTube even if it's not supposed to be, or you use a Google Image Search and can "find" it, or if you're just not sure, its fair game???

Comic Strips and Photographs = Art

And I could be wrong on this but don't you "borrow" CDs from the library to burn for your own personal use???

And didn't you give me your entire music collection via an exterior hard drive?

So I am a dogmatic, weak opined, wishy washy thief, and you are the Music (art) Mother Theresa?

Choose a side Dusch. Either you pay for art or you don't.

PS...if one can't be a tad "wishy washy" (aka brief) on a blog comment with friends then what is the world coming to?

PHSChemGuy said...

To me, that's exactly my point about iTunes. I've been a thief for so long - a reluctant one, but a thief none the less - and they have made it so easy for me to not steal that I applaud them.

And it happened so slowly that I didn't even notice them worming their way in.