May 17, 2011

L'il help needed

I'm working on some more 8track themed playlists and need some suggestions, please...

Here's what I've got half done along with a couple of example songs each. What songs would work with each of these playlists?
  • Circus songs - "When the Circus Comes to Town" Los Lobos, "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" Muppets
  • Murder songs - "Delia's Gone" Johnny Cash, "Woman in the Wall" Beautiful South
  • Self-love songs (to put it delicately) - "I Touch Myself" DiVinyls, "She Bop" Cyndi Lauper
  • Long songs (10+ minutes, no live versions, no classical) - "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Pink Floyd, "Less Than You Think" Wilco, "Telegraph Road" Dire Straits, "Rapper's Delight" Sugarhill Gang
  • Apology songs - "Little Lion Man" Mumford & Sons, "Valentine's Day" Steve Earle
  • Dream songs - "Series of Dreams" Bob Dylan, "Last Night I Had a Dream" Randy Newman
  • Driving songs (singing about driving) - "Highway Halo" Old Crow Medicine Show, "Radar Love" Golden Earring, "I Drove All Night" Cyndi Lauper
  • Touching songs (songs that make you cry)- "Circle Game" Joni Mitchell, "I Know What Love Is" Don White, "Cats in the Cradle" Harry Chapin
So,who you got?

5 comments:

coachsullivan said...

I've got nothing about the circus. And short of having iTunes in front of me, I don't know of any 10 minute songs off the top of my head. However, I'll take a stab on the rest based on what I know I have in the collection:

Murder - I Don't Like Mondays (Boomtown Rats), I Shot The Sheriff (Marley/Clapton), Murder By Numbers (The Police), Johnny 99 (Bruce Springsteen), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Self-Love - Turning Japanese (The Vapors), Dancing With Myself (Billy Idol), Darling Nikki (Prince)

Dreams - Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics), Dreams (Van Halen), I Can Dream About You (Dan Hartman), Your Wildest Dreams (Moody Blues), Enter Sandman (Metallica), You Make My Dreams (Hall & Oates), All I Have To Do Is Dream (Everly Brothers), These Dreams (Heart)

Driving - The Weight (The Band), Slow Ride (Foghat), Low Rider (War), Fun Fun Fun (Beach Boys), I Can't Drive 55 (Sammy Hagar), Born To Run (Bruce Springsteen)

Makes Me Cry - OK, not cry, but get a little misty if I'm in the right mood...Same Old Lang Syne (Dan Fogelberg), 29 Palms (Robert Plant), Goodbye (Night Ranger), Walk On (U2), Here Comes The Sun (The Beatles), God Only Knows (Beach Boys), Woman (John Lennon), Empty Garden (Elton John), Silver Spring (Fleetwood Mac)

CrimsonMirage said...

Long songs- Pink Floyd: You Gotta be Crazy/ Dogs, Death Cab: Stability

Sad songs- Sarah Polley: Courage, Postal Service: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight, The Smiths: Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me,

Apology: Elton John: Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word, The Decemberists: Apology Song

calencoriel said...

Makes me cry - Wide Open Spaces(Dixie Chicks); Ghost Story (Sting);Into the West (Annie Lennox);

Smamy said...

Circus:"Circus" by Eric Clapton, "Wild Billy's Circus Story" by Springsteen, "Acrobat" by U2, and "Sad Clown" by Sarah McLachlan.

Driving: "Silver Thunderbird" by Marc Cohen

Touching songs: I would add "I do" by Jude, "There were roses" by Tommy Sands, "Tiny dancer" by Elton John (mainly because it brings to mind the scene in Almost Famous), and "Over the Rainbow" by Iz.

PHSChemGuy said...

I'll comment by theme this time...

Murder - a number of good ones there, Sully - especially Johnny 99 and Murder by Numbers. Already had the Rats on there.

Self-Love - Japanese, yes. I listened to 'Dancing With Myself', and I think it's a bit of a stretch. I'm not sure I'm going to do that theme anyway - a bit tough to link that from the school account.

Dreams - I'm not looking for songs that say "I love you...you're in my dreams". I'm more looking for songs about people describing their dreams from the night before.

Driving - Love the Hagar and the Beach Boys. Marc Cohn also works well, thanks Smamy.

Crying - "I Do" is perfect there. I'll have to listen to your suggestions, Sully. I don't know any of those sad songs, Crimson. I'll give 'em a try.

Long Songs - of course there's Pink Floyd...

Circus - Don't know many of those, Smamy. 'Acrobat' I do, though. Thanks.