December 27, 2011

It's a hard knock life...


There're a few things here that make this recent Let's Be Friends Again comic a little esoteric.
  • The character is Mister Miracle, an escape artist who likes to challenge himself.
  • Mister Miracle is from New Genesis/Apocalypse, a DC comic creation from Jack Kirby. Together, he referred to his Apocalypse/New Genesis saga of stories as the Fourth World.
  • There's a tumblr called First World Problems which highlights the tough life of somewhat (or very) affluent white people in America. Examples are...
    • I wasn't served Indian food on my flight to India.
    • I can’t decide if the X-Men works better as a metaphor for anti-Semitism or a metaphor for homophobia. 
    • The fudge stripe pattern inside my son’s Jamocha shake cup today was really messy looking, so I had to throw it away and demand another one. 
I wasn't aware of the First World Problems blog until I scrolled down into the comic's comments.

It's not a far piece, however, from White Whine which posts whiny Facebook updates along the same lines as First World Problems.

Stuff White People Like, on the other hand, is totally different.

No comments: