December 21, 2005

Who do you trust?

I've got another blog that deals primarily with the media that I'm - as a good American - dutifully consuming, and over there I review pretty much any movie that I see. (Four in the past three days or so - it's a good Christmas break.)

In those reviews, I like to link to other movie reviews online that give other views of the film - both supporting and refuting my reviews if I can find them - because I know that not all of you will have the same tastes that I have. Today, I offer you some websites that I highly recommend to check out collections of film reviews...
  • NY Times - the biggest collection of reviews, well-written, lierate reviews...
  • Four-Word Film Reviews - the most succinct reviews out there...not terribly useful, however, unless you've already seen the film...
  • Tiscali.co.uk - a British site...nice reviews, some of slightly different versions of the films...
  • Hollywood.com - nice job critiquing each part of the film separately (story, acting, directing)...because lots of stinky films have redeeming qualities...
  • Christian Answers - their big concern is whether the film has good moral qualities...they also deal with other issues, but the first line tells where on the continuum the film falls from morally good all the way through extremely offensive...
  • Metacritic - not just for film, and probably the most useful site for me because it links to dozens of other sites and provides a quanitized rating for each film (and album and DVD and video game and other stuff)...
Find something useful and start using it...and go see more movies...

2 comments:

G-Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
G-Rob said...

I'd like to comment on the Christian Answers movie review site. I just can't find how this is useful to anyone. Then again, I don't gauge entertainment or anything else, for that matter, based on moral content.

Among some of the lowest rated G rated films on this list...which means "Average or Somewhat Offensive" to the kind folks at Christian Answers.

'Babe: Pig in the City'
Disney's 'Anastasia'
The Beatles' 'Hard Day's Night'
Disney's 'Hercules'

Come on, now. Does anyone reading this blog really find this information useful to the point of avoiding a classic music movie like 'Hard Day's Night' because the Christian right says it is "Somewhat Offensive"?

Time to go review the "Extremely Offensive" list, so I can plan what movies I plan to watch over my vacation...maybe this site has value after all.