February 8, 2007

Why I don't buy comic books...

There are loads and loads of reasons why I don't buy comic books but rather grab the trade paperbacks at the local library or book store (not that I buy them from the books stores - I just read them while sitting in the provided comfy chairs).
  • Comics are pricey.
  • Individual issues are too poorly made to store well.
  • Storylines drag on and on.
  • Reading first-runs are too much of a crapshoot in terms of quality.
  • I'm cheap.
But this column does a much better job of explaining why the floppies should die.

3 comments:

Cantido said...

Most of my money goes into comics. It sucks because I can't have an incomplete collection, even if I already read some volumes at bookstores. I occasionally look in Half-Price for Akira 1,4 and 6. I was glad to see Sandman volumes are now $15.

PHSChemGuy said...

bxkxOh, don't get me started on the Sandman volumes...I just broke down and got the Absolute Sandman: Volume 1 this past week.

I'm pretty much done for months...it's comic geek heaven 'round here...

Kyle said...

I was thinking about this just the other day, when I read how many copies of the final Harry Potter book have already been pre-ordered on Amazon.com. It made me think of stories my high school English teacher told of people in Charles Dickens' time lining up for the magazine containing the latest installment of Great Expectations or one of his other works.

I have to admit, the idea of letting fans start reading a story before the author has finished writing it seems to work well as a marketing strategy. As suspense grows over long periods of time, so does the buzz surrounding a work and the size of the audience.

I just can't handle it, though. I don't like to have to wait a month in between each chapter of an exciting story. I recently picked of Y: The Last Man to see if it's any good. I found myself being quickly drawn in, but then I found out that the series is about seven months from being finished. I'm afraid that if I keep reading, I'll end up at the climax of the story only to find myself at the end of what the author has finished so far. I decided to put it down so I can read the whole thing once it's finished.