January 3, 2014

Lego Simpsons...my gueses


With the rumored confirmation that Lego's thirteenth series of collectible minifigures, to be released in May, 2013, will be Simpsons-themed, I'm feeling like taking a few guesses as to what sixteen figures we'll get in the series, which are the sixteen most iconic/important/essential Simpsons characters.

All of this is predicated on the fact that no figures are held back as full-set-only inclusions. It appears that we'll only get one set, 742 Evergreen Terrace. If they make it so that you can only get Marge, for example, by buying that set, then my sixteen won't be quite right.

Absolute musts...
  • Homer
  • Marge
  • Bart
  • Lisa
  • Maggie
Next round, the ones I feel fairly confident should be among the released...
  • Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
  • Montgomery Burns 
  • Moe Syzslak
  • Milhouse Van Houten
  • Krusty the Clown
  • Barney Grumble
  • Grandpa Simpson
That takes us to twelve of the sixteen figures. Now things start to get tough with only four spots left in the series and a whole bunch of regular characters who deserve a shot. I'll list reasons why the individuals will not be included. Let's see if that can get us to the four.
  • Waylon Smithers
  • Selma Bouvier - probably not because Selma requires Patty
  • Patty Bouvier - probably not because Patty requires Selma
  • Duff Man - This might be the one that I want most just for its quirky nature, but I think Lego will avoid the alcohol overtones.
  • Ned Flanders
  • Lenny & Carl - That's two characters who really can't be done individually. When we're this tight on spots, I don't think we can use up two spots on these goofs.
  • Troy McClure - They've been resolute about not bringing back Phil Hartman's character on the show, so I'm assuming they won't bring him back in the Lego world either.
  • Itchy & Scratchy - I don't know how these two would translate to the Lego world and whether they would be two separate figures or one with an accessory of the other.
  • Chief Wiggum
  • Ralph Wiggum - Ralph stands onstage with Lisa, but bringing him in edges Lego to dealing with special needs characters, something they might want to avoid.
  • Comic Book Guy - I would love getting one, but he seems to be a far lesser character in Springfield.
  • Hans Moleman - This would be a quirky choice, but he's never been a lead character in a story, and I can't see him as anything other than a cut-to gag character.
  • Principal Skinner
  • Edna Krabappel - Edna's voice, Marcia Wallace, passed away in October. I'm thinking they'll let Edna pass on peacefully.
  • Nelson Muntz
  • Groundskeeper Willie - Like Hans Moleman, Willie doesn't drive stories in the Springfield world, so I think we can manage without him.
  • Sideshow Bob - Lego isn't known for characters with dark, violent pasts. This one might be a little murderous for Lego's self-professed target audience.
I'm stumped on narrowing it does further than that. That leaves me with seventeen characters for sixteen spots. On sheer blind guessing, I'll say we don't get Waylon Smithers.
Click on through to a website that'll let you identify every character in the poster.

No comments: