January 6, 2014

Update: Lego Simpsons...my guesses

The first leaked image of the Simpsons' 742 Evergreen Terrace Lego set has been leaked, and it's massive.


It also includes the full Simpsons family and Ned Flanders, six of the characters I guessed we'd see in the next collectible minifigures line. Assuming the leak (from Carlos S via Uproxx) is real, how does that change my guesses as to which figures we'll get?

I'm going to go with thinking it doesn't change things much. I think the Lego Group will give us alternate versions of the family - other than Maggie and Marge. There have been enough different costumes and versions of Maggie, Bart, and Homer through the years that I think we'll get duplicates of those three. I don't see another Maggie or Marge outfit because they're really in the same things most all the time. And I'm thinking Ned's already getting his one version - unless we get a set of the Leftorium or Praiseland (complete with gas leak).

That drops out three of my fairly certain characters and leaves me with three to replace. Here are my original choices and reasoning...
  • Waylon Smithers
  • Selma Bouvier - probably not because Selma requires Patty
  • Patty Bouvier - probably not because Patty requires Selma
  • Duff Man - This might be the one that I want most just for its quirky nature, but I think Lego will avoid the alcohol overtones.
  • Ned Flanders
  • Lenny & Carl - That's two characters who really can't be done individually. When we're this tight on spots, I don't think we can use up two spots on these goofs.
  • Troy McClure - They've been resolute about not bringing back Phil Hartman's character on the show, so I'm assuming they won't bring him back in the Lego world either.
  • Itchy & Scratchy - I don't know how these two would translate to the Lego world and whether they would be two separate figures or one with an accessory of the other.
  • Chief Wiggum
  • Ralph Wiggum - Ralph stands onstage with Lisa, but bringing him in edges Lego to dealing with special needs characters, something they might want to avoid.
  • Comic Book Guy - I would love getting one, but he seems to be a far lesser character in Springfield.
  • Hans Moleman - This would be a quirky choice, but he's never been a lead character in a story, and I can't see him as anything other than a cut-to gag character.
  • Principal Skinner
  • Edna Krabappel - Edna's voice, Marcia Wallace, passed away in October. I'm thinking they'll let Edna pass on peacefully.
  • Nelson Muntz
  • Groundskeeper Willie - Like Hans Moleman, Willie doesn't drive stories in the Springfield world, so I think we can manage without him.
  • Sideshow Bob - Lego isn't known for characters with dark, violent pasts. This one might be a little murderous for Lego's self-professed target audience.
With three new spots to fill, I'll go with bringing back in Ralph Wiggum, Sideshow Bob, and Groundskeeper Willie.

That means my official guesses are now...
  • Homer - alternate
  • Bart - alternate
  • Lisa - alternate
  • Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
  • Montgomery Burns 
  • Moe Syzslak
  • Milhouse Van Houten
  • Krusty the Clown
  • Barney Grumble
  • Grandpa Simpson
  • Waylon Smithers
  • Chief Wiggum
  • Ralph Wiggum
  • Principal Skinner
  • Nelson Muntz
  • Groundskeeper Willie
  • Sideshow Bob
Wait, that's seventeen. Apparently my original guesses were too generous by one. Let's drop off Sideshow Bob so Lego isn't endorsing murder.

Oh, and if you're wondering how much the Simpsons' home is going to cost, here are some vague comps based on # of pieces and minifigures.
I don't know what the new set's price will be, but I'm thinking I won't be buying it.

Separately, I'm not sure I like the very much non-Lego-minifigure-looking Simpsons shown on the box above. THey look too blocko-ish for my taste.

No comments: