- Kobe Bryant had the 121st 40-point game of his career Sunday, but did so shooting 15-of-34 from the field. According to the Elias Sports Bureau research, only Wilt Chamberlain (72) has more games with 40 points when shooting less than 50 percent than Bryant's 51. No other NBA player in NBA history has more than 29 such games.
- Kobe is currently second in the league, averaging 27.3 points per game (half a point behind LeBron).
- Kobe is leading the league in field goals attempted by a pretty big margin (244 for Kobe in 10 games, 218 for Carmelo in 11 games, nobody else above 190).
- Kobe has the 119th best shooting percentage (37.7%) of all players who qualify for the leader boards...just behind Kevin Love (#118) and James Harden (#117).
- In points per shot, Kobe does come in a little better at #106 in the NBA with 1.12 points per shot.
I mention all of this because a student of mine this past week mentioned that Kobe had set the record for most field goals missed in an NBA career at 13471 (and counting very quickly). The student then explained that there must be a correlation between shots missed, shots taken, and talent. Clearly, he said, anybody who's allowed to shoot that much must be making lots of their shots.
The top shooters (field goals attempted all-time - from pro-basketball reference)...
- Kareem - 28307
- Karl Malone - 26210
- Kobe - 24618 (would take two solid years of playing to catch Kareem)
- Michael Jordan - 24537
- Elvin Hayes - 24272
(Kevin Garnett is the next active at #14 with 20792)
- Kobe - 13471
- John Havlicek - 13417
- Elvin Hayes - 13296
- Karl Malone - 12682
- Kareem - 12470
(Vince Carter is the next active at #13 with 10667)
- Kareem - 15837
- Karl Malone - 13528
- Wilt - 12681
- Michael Jordan - 12192
- Dr J - 11818
- Shaq - 11330
- Kobe - 11147 (would take six more years at current year's shooting percentage to get to #1)
(Kevin Garnett is next among actives at #14 with 10341)
- Kareem - 38287
- Karl Malone - 36928
- Michael Jordan - 32292
- Kobe - 31973 (would take about three more years at this year's scoring average and really good health to get to #1)
- Wilt - 31419
(Dirk Nowitzki is the next active player at #11 with 26989)
McDonald's doesn't make the best burgers in the land, but they sell a ton of them.
Kobe Bryant is McDonald's...he's Wal-Mart...he's r-selected.