November 9, 2006

Like Nazi Olsen twins...

I'm not even going to link to today's blog subject because I don't want to direct web traffic even to their Wikipedia entry, but it's a group called Prussian Blue. I haven't the foggiest clue how or why my friend bumped into the group's entry, and I'm not going to concern myself with it because my point doesn't center around Prussian Blue at all.

Instead, I'm going to hit the more general points.

One, I don't blame children for being ignorant. They are products of what they've been taught. Once they begin to grow up and think for themselves, however, they are fair game for being insulted, looked down on, and judged for their stupid beliefs.

Two, there are enough archetypal stories of people of hatred who have come to refute that hatred that I believe it is possible for such people to let go of their ignorance and hatred. It must not be an easy thing, I will admit to that, but it is, I believe, possible. For examples, see American History X and The Autobiography of Malcolm X - two of the more moving works that I've had to pleasure to consume. Because of this, once people have had an opportunity to grow and learn and put away childish, biggoted beliefs, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Three, I have no real problems with hatred. There are a number of things that I'll admit to hating, and even a few people who would be pretty close to that realm with me.

My problem is with blank, blind, ignorant hatred.

Hate someone that you've come to know. Go right ahead. Take a moment to get to know them, see who they are, find out how they act, observe them for a while, and then hate the holy heck out of them. I'm not going to fault you.

But don't hate somebody before you've gotten to see them in action, and especially don't hate an entire group, because you certainly haven't had a chance to meet all of those people yet.

Fourth, if you're going to be part of a movement, at least get cute t-shirts. As repugnant as the concept of a cartoon Hitler is, I kind of respect the graphic design spirit in the picture above. For some reason, though, the mustache looks a little like a smiley face licking its upper lip. I still think the t-shirts are a neat design, though, no matter how repugnant the sentiment and beliefs of the people wearing them

3 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

apparently, they're fourteen (according to the Wikipedia article that I still refuse to link to)

ame said...

Sadly I saw a whole Dateline episode on this a few years back. It's just plain sick and borderline abuse what their parents have taught them.

PHSChemGuy said...

Their article did mention the Dateline episode. I'm more and more impressed with Wikipedia...good stuff there...