March 30, 2008

Bagpipies

My first experience with the bagpipes came because a man about a block away from the house I grew up in played the pipes from time to time on his back porch. We had a clear view from our front porch, straight across the street and to his back porch, so when he would head outside and practice, we could see and hear him clearly. I've loved their sound ever since...

"Amazing Grace"


The Tannahill Weavers


"Mull of Kintyre"


Amateurs followed by pros


A truly unique event in the history of the pipes


Or maybe not quite as unique as I would've hoped


"Scotland the Brave"


"Clumsy Love set"


When cultures meet


The bagpipes' appearance on Friends - with outtakes


That just seems like cheating


A medley from Edinburgh


And the last for today, Rare Air perform on a morning show...

4 comments:

calencoriel said...

good stuff...it makes me miss the end of Leadership meetings when Grandpa would ask if anyone else had anything to add "for the good of the order" and Woodrow would ask Dr. Bob when our band would be adding bagpipes...

sadly, we're still waiting...

PHSChemGuy said...

I'll have to ask Bob that sometime...I'd love to see that and might actually encourage the band folks a little more if they had pipes...

cmorin said...

I had a certain music teacher (his name started with a K and ended with a irkendall) that always said bagpipes were not musical instruments, they are weapons. I don't agree but I thought the comment was laughable.

PHSChemGuy said...

Having heard bapgipes at close range in a small club, I can certainly believe the fearsome power of the pipes, and I'd heard the weapon story before. Here's a quote from a website I found very quickly...the original source is sited here...

The Great Highland Bagpipe is the only musical instrument ever to be banned as a weapon. Playing of the bagpipes was banned in Scotland by an Act of Parliament in 1747. After the last Jacobite Rising ended in 1746, the Hanoverian government tried to obliterate all Scottish culture, forbidding the wearing of tartan and carring of weapons. Since no clan ever went into battle without a piper, bagpipes were banned as a weapon of war.