March 17, 2008

Moments of bliss

I'm a procrastanator and a perfectionist - two traits which don't go together all that well. What it means is that I spend a lot of my free time thinking about what I should be doing instead of just letting go and enjoying whatever it is that I'm doing. For example, as I type this entry, I'm thinking about this afternoon's bake sale and the notebook sitting next to me at the table - the ones I should be grading and will be in a few minutes.

Every now and then, however, there have been and continue to be moments in my life when the brain lets go and just revels in the moment, when the bliss takes over and all is well with the world.

Today I present you with descriptions of a few of those moments...and I ask you to share one of your own, a moment when everything, every thought, every bit of the rest of the world went away from you, a time when you lived purely and totally in the moment...
  • Each time I look up at the sky and see Orion - ideally in early morning hours of a winter day. - I've lost touch with a friend (entirely my fault here) out in the City of Angels who loved looking up at Orion herself. And every time I see the belt and the sword, I think of her. It's a shame that I haven't been more regular in my contact with her.
  • Senior awards chapel at Wabash when I won the chemistry leadership award. - There was an award for the outstanding student teacher. I expected to win that one - there were only about a half dozen of us student teaching that semester, and I thought I was hot stuff. But when Dr Dallinger began the announcement for one of the chemistry awards by saying (I'm paraphrasing here) "We have an outstanding chemistry class this year with a dozen chemistry majors. Six are headed to chemistry graduate school, two to law school, two to med school, one to English grad school, and one to high school. It is to this last that we present this award." And I went away. I couldn't catch my breath, couldn't hear another thing he said. I received the award in front of the entirety of the senior class and assembled parents - including mine. I've won a few academic-type awards in my time, but this one shocked and honored me as much as any that I've ever gotten.
  • After the first few runners come across the finish line at our 5K...in the middle of the second set of Rock 4A Cause. - Our students (especially those of you who make up a fair portion of this blog's readership) do amazing, phenomenal things to raise around $40,000 every year for the LLS (our total this year will be announced in the first week of April). Calen and I do a lot of work behind the scenes and in other ways, and we both tend to be about as tense as possible as our two largest events head toward their dates. But once things are underway and working, you'll typically find me in the lobby of the concert or at the finish line of the 5K with the biggest grin on my face. Everybody is enjoying themselves, and it's because of something that I've helped birth, and they're all having a great time 4A Cause. It's an amazing feeling.
  • As I stood there taking my vows at my wedding. - We had an outdoor wedding at Locust Grove on Easter Saturday and had absolutely no decent backup plans at all. If it had rained on us, we'd've been crammed into their reception hall with a very uncomfortable ceremony. It poured on Thursday all day long - until our rehearsal. Friday it was crystal clear, and they mowed the grass. Saturday was gorgeous - 75 degrees with crystal blue skies. On Easter Sunday they had ten inches of rain and horrific flood warnings.

    But for us, it was perfect. I was surrounded by the people who meant the most to me in the world, and I was marrying a beautiful woman. It was one of the best parties I've ever been to, and easily the best one that I've ever thrown. It was so beautiful, in fact, that the photographers kept the album as an advertisement for the next year...and that certainly wasn't because The Girl and I are that gorgeous as far as people go.
  • Sitting on the beach at 4am on my last day in Aberdeen, Scotland. - I'd spent nine months in Aberdeen - eight, really, with the rest around Scotland, England, and the continent. And I'd never seen the sun rise over the North Sea. I got up at 3:30, knocked on Luke's window but let him sleep as he was enjoying the company of a lass who he'd finally worked up the courage to chat up the night before, so I headed down to the North Sea alone - a fifteen minute walk in the darkness. And I waited for the fun to rise on my last day in Aberdeen. I have a gorgeous panoramic of the sunrise to keep the memories fresh, and my parents had it mounted for my Christmas present that year.
  • This weekend during warmups for New Albany's game against Brownsburg. - I've left the nest and headed two hours upriver from The Family Manse. I love where I live now and wouldn't trade my life for anything. But there is something so familiar and wonderful about going home from time to time, and this weekend screamed that at me as I stood up and cheered for the home team, surrounded by 7000+ Hoosiers in a high school gymnasium. The blind fervor, the excitement, the feeling of being part of a seventy-year-old tradition. It was amazing and so comforting, and I felt at home, something that I rarely connect with. I'm the one who left, and there aren't a lot of times when I miss home, but I missed it palpably this weekend.
And when have you been in bliss?

9 comments:

cmorin said...

Wow... great post. Your moments seem so much better than mine but I would have to say one of my moments was my time in Switzerland. This is eerily similar to your Ireland moment. I spent three weeks in Europe and five days of that was in a small skiing town in the Alps. It was dusk when we drove in, the mountains were socked in with fog and we couldn't see what surrounded us. We had no plans the next morning so we were on our own to do what we wished. I woke up rather early to do some laundry. I made the walk to the laundromat; which proved to be quite a daunting task considering the town was on a side of a mountain and my hotel was at the bottom of town while the laundromat happened to be at the top. When I got there I sat outside reading. As the sun rose, the fog cleared and I found out how beautiful the Alps really are. It was amazing and that one moment made the other 5 days in Switzerland seem that much better.

cmorin said...

Your Scotland trip rather...

DanEcht said...

You're so deep...

I am in bliss every time I find a really good book and get wrapped up in it. Reading late into the night, warm in bed, and finishing with a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction at about three in the am hours. Greatest feeling in the world.

Singing brings me bliss; standing at attention with seventy other people, creating beauty from the air itself.

Lying out in the middle of a field on a clear night in Maine, where there's no such thing as light pollution, and with a decent pair of binoculars (and really with your naked eye) you can see hundreds, even thousands of stars, if not more. Losing yourself in the cosmos is a wonderful feeling.

achilles3 said...

Journalism is not cool to the "normal" high school student. Despite the variety of topics that the everyday word can bring, reading the news, looking into the news, deciphering the angle of the news is not overwhelmingly popular for teenage kids. Kids with the internet. Kids with cell phones. Kids with better things to do.

But in that dusty, stale, often littered windowless publication room at Princeton High School I felt bliss all the time, 45 minutes a day for three years. Bliss that would sneak up on me and more searingly, sneak up on kids.

Kids care. They care about how to write better. They care about getting stories right. They care about the truth. They care about a solid lead, a money quote, a perfect picture, pushing envelopes, proving their worth, being heard.

They care when you care so much that you're willing to lose everything to stand up for them and for what they believe.

The students I worked and laughed with. Yelled and pointed at. Cried and worried for are some of the most incredible human beings on this Earth and I thank them all the time for the shared bliss of learning and caring. Together.

:-)

joey said...

when i think about odins, its not the days that i was sitting in front of a computer doing god knows what on photoshop, it was the last couple weeks when we all saw the writing on the wall and just talked about the "real issues" in the world, inevitably pissing someone off. thats when the conversation always picked up :)

for me:

sitting in matthews at 5 AM jamming to dave matthews on a sound system that could realistically cost more than any car i will ever buy

coming in to school late last year so i could get a cup of caribou and a steak egg and cheese bagel

graduation night. the feeling of limitless possibilities.

Killing sprees in halo, getting a 100+ note streak in guitar hero, and some white castles to top off a night. No reason to hide it.

joey said...

when i think about odins, its not the days that i was sitting in front of a computer doing god knows what on photoshop, it was the last couple weeks when we all saw the writing on the wall and just talked about the "real issues" in the world, inevitably pissing someone off. thats when the conversation always picked up :)

for me:

sitting in matthews at 5 AM jamming to dave matthews on a sound system that could realistically cost more than any car i will ever buy

coming in to school late last year so i could get a cup of caribou and a steak egg and cheese bagel

graduation night. the feeling of limitless possibilities.

Killing sprees in halo, getting a 100+ note streak in guitar hero, and some white castles to top off a night. No reason to hide it.

PHSChemGuy said...

Wow...you folks are impressive...

Craig - I knew you meant Scotland, no worries. And the description of the fog clearing and you suddenly looking up and realizing just how gorgeous was the world around you sounds about right - clearing the brain of anything but the very moment.

Dan - It's rare that I get that wrapped up in a book. Lately, I've been getting locked up in Sandman again, but it's rare. I've also got a story of seeing stars for what felt like the first time...I should share that sometime.

Lakes - you would cry at what has become of Odin's now. I skimmed tomorrow's issue, and it's not right.

Joey - I'll repeat what I said to Lakes. It's a crime, really. Graduation night is weird - it's one of my favorite moments each year, when I get to hug or shake hands with you guys who I've been blessed to get to know even a little bit and to see the absolute pride on many of the faces (CJ a couple of years ago was especially meaningful to me).

I'm down with the sliders...aw, yeah...

achilles3 said...

Oh..BTW...GREAT GREAT POST CHEM GUY!
The Orion one was my favorite

PHSChemGuy said...

Thanks, Lakes...