We get to 2009, and everybody feels the need to look back at the last decade, as though there were some sort of magic to that ten year span.
We were even worse about it back in 1999 and 2000 when everybody had to put out a list of the best something of the last millenium.
Here are some of the lists that I've found as the best of the decade:
- SI.com's top pop culture moments - I like #5 & 10, but the rest is pretty much crap.
- Rob Neyer's Top Players - #1 was a bit obvious.
- SI.com's top ten sports stories
- SI.com's top sports photos - wow to #7, 14, 15, 16, 19, 26 - but #19 is by far the best.
- All of SI.com's lists - including a great choice for #1 event/game/whatever of the decade
- Rolling Stone's top 100 albums - #3 and 5 are great choices. #8 & 11 seem odd choices. I'd move #22, 56, and #78 way up.
- Rolling Stone's top 100 songs - I would've gone with #4, 6, 12. I'm surprised #19 came above #29. #39 & 47 should be higher.
- Newsweek's full list website - I particularly enjoyed the Worst Predictions.
- ESPN's Top Athlete - complete with clear American sports bias...not a single footballer to be found.
- 50 Best Catch Phrases - #1 is a perfect choice.
- Top 10 Best Opening Title Sequences - #6 was stunning in the theater - both times I saw it there.
- Peter Travers' 10 Best Movies - I've actually seen them all and think #1, 3 & 8 are horrible choices. I'd take #7 or #4 as my #1.
- Kyle's Best Comics - I think he's overrated #10 and 3, and I haven't read #4 or 2, but it's a good starting point for a list.
- ESPN's Best Games of the Decade - I've only seen all of #4 and #5, but they'd be hard to top.
- PasteMagazine's 50 Best Albums - Good to see #34 getting some love.
- All of Pitchfork's top lists
- The Star is counting down the most important works of the decade -#5 is currently The Dark Knight, and they won't get to #1 for a couple more days.
- Times Online's 100 Best Books - I've read almost none of them. #79, 46, 44, 17 being the exceptions.
- Metacritic's Top Artists & Albums - fascinating methodology in their lists
- Most Watched Episodes - Interesting that nothing has come in the last four years. Changing times.
- Most influential games
- Billboard's Top Artists - I'm stunned at who was #1.
- Best Commercials - I'd take the other Honda ad over the winner.
- Fox New's 10 Best GQ covers - seriously, this is what the 'news agency' gives us.
- Top 10 Comics You Aught to Have Read - Sadly, many of these (and those in part 1) haven't been collected yet, so I'm behind...yet again.