April 28, 2011

1937 Flood Home Movies

Cincinnati Re-Adventure posted a YouTube home video of the 1937 flood.



I've been dwelling on thoughts of the 1937 flood lately after hearing that we've just passed into the record books as the rainiest month in Cincinnati history. The Ohio River is close to 53 feet (it crested at fifty-six feet late last week), a foot or two above flood stage. Back in January, 1937, the Ohio River crested at nearly 80 feet.

Eighty feet...I can't even comprehend that.

2 comments:

calencoriel said...

There's that ark at Sawyer's Point to help you visualize it...

My grandparents used to tell us that the river came all the way up to Mitchell and Vine during the 1937 flood...I could never visualize that either.

PHSChemGuy said...

More photos to come. I'm doing research.

Just saw one photo of Knolten's Corner in Northside underwater. Amazing...