August 21, 2012

Fall Movie Preview

I screwed up somewhere and subscribed to Entertainment Weekly. I say 'screwed up' because there's no way I'm keeping up with a weekly magazine - especially when I also stupidly subscribed to Sports Illustrated, another weekly magazine, and especially when I'm trying to read actual books like the Vonnegut bibliography and 1493 which I just started over the weekend.

Sure, I subscribed to these for no cost to myself and because I had some loyalty miles from US Air that were going to expire, but in the long run, getting something free that I'm not going to use and that is just going to take time away from reading real, important stuff - and blogging.

This week's EW did have something moderately interesting, however, in their Fall Movie Preview. Here are the movies that caught my eye...(links go to trailers...number are how much I want to see the flick on a 10-pt scale - 10 is Dark Knight)...

  • Looper (7) - Joseph Gordon-Levitt is moving up in the world. I'll see him in just about anything at this point.
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower (6) - Great book...curious to see how it translates.
  • Argo (7) - Ben Affleck's first two directorial efforts have been solid. This looks good.
  • Cloud Atlas (6) - I am intrigued. This one looks weird but interesting.
  • Not Fade Away (5) - 60's budding band flicks tend to work well
  • Seven Psychopaths (5) - Colin Farrell and Sam Rockwell...I'll take a look.
  • Pitch Perfect (6) - This should not interest me, but the trailer was great.
  • Killing Them Softly (6) - Brad Pitt's in the same realm as JGL.
  • Life of Pi (5) - Pretty...pretty...pretty
  • Wreck-It Ralph (7) - This looks intelligent and funny.
  • Silver Lining Playbook (5) - Two solid and pretty leads: Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence.
  • The Man With the Iron Fist (6) - RZA and chop-sockey movie? Yes, please.
  • Rise of the Guardians (6) - Santa Claus as a butt-kicker? Yes, please.
  • Skyfall (9) - Daniel Craig's first James Bond was the best ever. His follow up without a script was still pretty outstanding. I'll be there the first weekend.
  • Flight (7) - Denzel doesn't produce weaksauce.
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (6) - Don't tell Calen, but I'll probably see all twelve hours of this trilogy in the theater.
  • Zero Dark Thirty (5) - I dunno that I want to see this story, but Kathryn Bigelow's last flick was strong enough.
  • Django Unchained (5) - If it weren't for Tarantino, I wouldn't be interested.
  • This is 40 (6) - This may be a little too close to home, though.
  • Hyde Park on Hudson (6) - It's Bill F'ing Murray.
...and movies in which I have absolutely no interest at all...
  • Trouble With the Curve (2) - I can't look forward to seeing crotchety Clint Eastwood.
  • The Words (1) - Chick flick incarnate...
  • Won't Back Down (2) - I've heard mixed reviews as to whether this is pro- or anti-teacher/public schools. Either way, I don't want it.
  • Dredd 3d (1) - The first Dredd was horrible. I'm not willing to give it another try eighteen years later.
  • Hello I Must Be Going (3) - meh
  • The Master (3) - okay, maybe a little interest because it's a good cast, but it just doesn't grab me
  • End of Watch (2) - I do like Jake Gyllenhall, but I'm not grabbed by the description here.
  • Arbitage (1) - Richard Gere annoys the crap out of me.
  • Bachelotette (4) - I'm smelling a rip-off of Bridesmaids.
  • Taken 2 (3) - Didn't see the first one...
  • The Paperboy (2) - Old Nicole Kidman scares the crap out of me.
  • Here Comes the Boom (2) - My lust for Selma Hayek is far overcome by my revulsion of Kevin James.
  • Alex Cross (2) - meh
  • Frankenweenie (4) - I do like stop motion animation.
  • The Big Wedding (1) - DeNiro is old...Diane Keaton is old...
  • Chasing Mavericks (3) - Gerry Butler's fun, but the whole 'surfing mentor story' bores me
  • The Sessions (3) - Helen Hunt hasn't done anything good in a while. I'm sad about that.
  • Anna Karenina (1) - Stop Making Period Pieces, Keira Knightly. Stop It NOW.
  • Lincoln (3) - Serious history...zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Red Dawn (2) - Been there in the movie theater long, long, long ago
  • Les Miserables (2) - You know it's got singers...about the French revolution, right?
  • Jack Reacher (2) - Crazy Tom Cruise as a 6'5" super spy guy?
  • The Guilt Trip (1) - Babs should have stayed retired.
  • The Impossible (3) - Don't want to see heroic survival story.
  • On the Road (2) - G'head and howl, folks, but I won't be listening.
  • Parental Guidance (1) - Why's Billy Crystal still doing movies?
  • Amour (1) - A love story of 80 year olds?.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 comments:

coachsullivan said...

Haven't see the first Taken?!?

We're sitting down and watching this the next time you're in town for a long weekend.

PHSChemGuy said...

Really? It's that good?