October 16, 2013

One-album wonders

I was listening to the brilliant 3 years, 5 months, and 2 days in the life of... album by Arrested Development and got to wondering about other one-album wonders, artists who popped into the popular consciousness for a single album then receded or disappeared entirely.

In doing a bit of research, I found a number of sites with pretty good lists of one-album wonders:
  • Rocksound - never heard of any of their choices
  • NPR - I had no idea Milla Jovovich, but I want to track down her album soon. Sounds good.
  • SitarHero - I've head some of these albums. Good choices
  • Flavorwire - Interesting list...makes me want to track down The La's and The Avalanches.
  • 411mania - First list with Arrested Development on it, but I'm starting to get some overlap with the albums. Why are The Cars just off the list?
  • Alan Cross - Again, overlap developing (Lauryn Hill, La's, Buckley, Death From Above 1979, Sex Pistols, Derek & the Dominos)
  • IGN - Overlap continues
  • Paste Magazine - Same overlap...
  • Treblezine - I don't know any of these albums.
 As it turns out, I don't have much to offer to these lists.

Heck of a blog entry there, ChemGuy.

Good call...

2 comments:

Kate said...

Since I Left You by The Avalanches is absolutely fantastic, one of my most listened to albums of all-time. That La's record is fine too, but There She Goes is definitely the standout. Cheeriest song about heroin addiction ever?

PHSChemGuy said...

I'll check out The Avalanches. "There She Goes" is a classic.