September 29, 2005

One link...two reasons...make that three...

Okay, linking to a blog called I am Kyle's self-indulgence for three reasons. First, he rails on the new Achiever's Edition of The Big Lebowski. No new footage, no new interviews or making of docs or commentaries. The best they have to offer in terms of actual content is a cleaner transfer. But it does come with a Lebowski shammy to clean your bowling ball and four coasters. And it's in a nice box. Stupid. Dumb. I'm not buying it. Please, nobody get it for me as a gift either. Thanks.

Two, I'm digging Kyle's blog in general. Never saw it before today, but it's gonna be a regular read for me now. A lot of his ideas and rants are somewhat familiar to me - including his link about banned book week, giving a little shout out here. My wife is a school librarian who opens her library orientation each year at her school by welcoming the students to "the most dangerous room in the building." Books open minds. There's not a bigger deal out there than that. Every kid who's trying to find their way, who's feeling unsure about themselves, can pick up a book and find something that speaks to them. Those books need to be made available as much as possible to increase the odds that the right kid will find the right book at the right time. Support Banned Book Week - read a Banned Book. I'll most highly recommend #37 - The Handmaid's Tale, #52 Brave New World, #69 Slaughterhouse-Five, and #76 Where Did I Come From? - all are among my favorites.

And, third, I like the option of choosing your own skin on Kyle's blog. It's on the main page, way down at the bottom. That's something I need to work on being able to do. I'm impressed with CSS stuff, and I haven't a clue how to do it. Sometime in the future, perhaps...

Oh, and the photo has nothing to do with the blog other than both are about a guy named Kyle. I searched Google for a photo of "kyle", and that's the one that entertained me most, though this was a close second.

No comments: