October 21, 2005

Ambrosia...

During my first year teaching at Mount Healthy High School, I had a student tell me that his name was Ambrosia. First day of class, first day for me at the new school, and I'm asking the students if there's anything they'd rather be called instead of the official name on the roll call. I'm expecting some Jimmy's instead of James's, a Mike instead of Michael. Instead, the kid says to call him "Ambrosia, because without me, the gods would die." Sure, I call him Ambrosia through about November when he asks me to start calling him Orange because he doesn't use Ambrosia anymore. Nope, you're stuck with Ambrosia. I can't even remember his full name anymore.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about the glory that is friend dough - elephant ears, funnel cakes, doughnuts, fritters (the best in town), and any of a dozen other ethnic varieties of dough. The finding of this website - in my search for a picture of donuts to send out this morning as I lammented a co-worker's tardiness in providing Friday morning donuts for us - brought me to the Oso-Ono website, apparently a company that sells dough all ready to be fried, able to morph into any of a dozen different fried dough products, all with minor variations in frying method or seasoning. I'm a sweet breakfast kinda guy over a savory guy, but that's just how my tastes run.

As a general rule, though, fried dough is a very tasty thing...

No comments: