April 25, 2006

My recent media consumption...

As the other blog is now dead and I know J-Ged Ruff Rider is always curious, I thought I'd catch you folks up on my recent media consumption...
  • Roll Bounce - entertaining period piece...good music...likable characters...one weird moment in the middle where the main character takes a dramatic turn and bashes things with a baseball bat...my advice is to just ignore that scene and enjoy the rest of the light-hearted film...
  • Ice Age: The Meltdown - fun family night with the Heckman crew (represent, IBBecky)...not as good as the first one...still pretty good though...admittedly, I had trouble suspending disbelief with some of the geography involved in everybody running from the upcoming flood, but I'm crazy...the animation of the fur was phenomenal and again just continues to amaze me...
  • Howl's Moving Castle - not the equal of either Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke but few are...animation's nice...the story's a little too predictable...the ending's way too neat and tidy...much more a love story than the other two films...not one to introduce yourself to Miyazaki's work...
  • The Sopranos - season five - probably not their best season, but I've seen the ones before this...still a great series...without cable, I've watched them all via DVD - thanks, Chris D for most of them...excellent series...worth watching, but start way back at the beginning...
  • Daredevil: Decalogue - phenomenal storytelling...six collected issues without much in the way of Daredevil until the last issue...nice morality play...excellent comic from a great series...one of the better ones being published by the big two...
  • Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits - short masterpiece...only nine songs long...four of them were big radio hits in their day...first CD to sell a million copies...the other five songs aren't quite as good, but the mood from start to finish is what's worth the listen...very nice...
  • (What's the Story) Morning Glory by Oasis - I'd forgotten the knockout power of some of the hits here ("Wonderwall", "Don't Look Back in Anger", "Champagne Supernova", "She's Electric", "Don't Look Back in Anger")...it's a period piece from the mid-nineties, but the riffs are pretty timeless...they had a great high point, and they didn't stay there too long, but it was a very nice high point...now I need to track down Definitely Maybe...
  • Just subscribed to Discover, Popular Science, and Wired, so hopefully more new stuff will start coming in that way once the subscriptions start...
  • Just restarted Diary by Palahniuk...excellent book...this'll be my second read through...
  • Also started I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League...revisiting some funny comic book pasts...

2 comments:

calencoriel said...

nice picture...that would make a great logo for a fantasy league baseball team...

PHSChemGuy said...

That's what summers at the zero-depth pool are for...might I recommend the book-on-tape edition?