November 17, 2007

These are my kids...

I am childless, true, but I have hundreds of kids...

Every year, PHS's senior class has a week of revelry which involves five days of dressing up, a bonfire, and a Powder Puff football game. This year the bonfire and game got moved to the spring because our studnet council sponsor gets cold easily (according to one of the the students), but the dress up days were outstanding.

Achilles3 already mentioned my absolute favorite moment, but I'll save that for last as I count down the five (plus a bonus) best dress up days this year...

#6 Tacky Day - I'm honestly not a big fan of Tacky Day. It's just the old Nerd Day renamed, and I don't really dig it.


#5 Pajama Day - slightly better, but I'm not a pj kind of guy. I own a pair of pajama pants because I went to a pajama party one time to watch The Breakfast Club. Not many people actually sleep in pajamas anymore, do they?


#4 Class T-Shirt Day - I like a lot of the ideas, especially the student who dressed up as Waldo so he could find himself in the class picture, but I don't like the clique-ishness and weird priorities of who gets to the front of the class photo.


#3 70s/80s Day - only this low because many of the students have no idea what the eras are as we get everything from hippies (mid 60s) to punk (mid to late 70s) to Miami Vice (solid 80s) to early grunge (early 90s) and Bill & Ted (very, very late 80s). The costumes are good, but it's too themeless a theme for my tastes.


#2 (tough call regions now) Costume Day - Every year the students go above and beyond the call of duty, working hours on the costumes and coming up with the greatest themes. Last year, the X-Men were excellent. This year big kudos to the Girl Group who fought all day long, the Super Smash Bros characters, the trolls, the PowerPuff Girls, and lots more...


#1 (with a bullet) Dress Like a Teacher - not a real, official day, but a student-created improvement on Tacky Day. That's not me on the right, but a number of folks mistook him for me. The seniors involved earned themselves so much goodwill from the teachers and principals whom they flattered that they're good to do just about anything the rest of the year.


To those of you who took part and are reading this, thanks for a great week.

3 comments:

Katydid said...

a great week it was indeed, but quite tiring as well. who has time for homework when you have t-shirts to make?

its frightening how similar the expressions of Kyle and i are when compared to actuals of you and Heckman.

PHSChemGuy said...

Yeah, Kyle mentioned that his government grade might be suffering a bit after he moved priorities this week from homework to general Senior Week activities.

achilles3 said...

i am SO glad I got to see these pics!
also so glad that I wasn't around for someone to dress as...that would have been scary

ilepl