September 23, 2008

What a validictory gets you

It's been long enough since Andy Stephan graduated that most folks 'round school - the students guaranteed - don't remember that he gave my favorite validictory ever, far better than any of the generally bland speeches that I've heard before or since.

And now, Andy is back and throwing down a web presence with The New Cook, a site/blog that he's been adding to since March but that I just heard about this past weekend.

On the site, Andy states that...
My primary goal is to really learn how to cook. I want to be able to make meals from scratch without a cookbook. I want to know what spices go well together, how to make a good vinaigrette, and the basics behind a pan sauce. I am not opposed to recipes; I use them frequently and will present quite a few on this site. They usually lead to quite delicious food, but I want a deeper knowledge of why you do the things you do when cooking.
And he's been posting recipes, offering up technique tips, delving into some food science, outlining his cooking textbook, and generally doing a pretty good job of introducing a rookie to the kitchen.

It's always nice to see what a graduate has moved on to - in addition to the cooking, Andy seems to be hanging with the same girl he dated at PHS and working on an accounting grad degree at UC - and I'll certainly be following Andy along in his travels and travails.

3 comments:

cmorin said...

I saw that speech my freshman year while playing in the band. The following years, I was expecting a speech on a similar level.... I was disappointed.

In other news, I have succumbed to the pressure and started my own blog. It was a long time coming.

joey said...

as soon as i saw the name, i thought about the speech. What year was that again?

wv: supelbt < im terrible at this, but that one seems to have a lot of potential

PHSChemGuy said...

CMorin - you'll never see another speech that good from an amateur. It was outstanding. I'm thinking about pushing to have the validictorian not give the speeches any more but rather do what a lot of schools (like Wabash when I was there) do and have anybody in the top 5% or so get to apply/audition to give the speech and have a committee of a few staff members/students pick the winner.

We'd get much better speeches because it's pretty rare that the best speaker is the best student. They're just different skills.

Joey, he was for the class of 2004. Good stuff.

Supelbt...A bacon and tomato sandwich that is particularly smooth on the skin?