Last year's regular culinary theme saw me and The Girl visiting the various fine steakish establishments around the Cincinnati and Dayton areas.
This year will see the two of us visiting the finest burger joints in the same Daynati (or is it Cinciton?) world, but we need some help before we get started in our search for the perfect burger and fries meal.
We've done our initial research to put together our initial list of where we should wander. Utilizing The Girl's awesome librarian skills, we found the following websites rather helpful:
- Terry's Turf Club
- Sammy's Gourmet Burgers & Beer (Blue Ash)
- Quatman's Cafe (Norwood)
- Zip's Cafe (Mt Lookout)
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries (West Chester/UC)
- Morton's (downtown)
- Red Robin (West Chester)
- Arthur's Cafe (Mt Lookout/Hyde Park)
- Cafe de Wheels (rolling, mostly Court St)
- Black Angus Burgers and Brew (Woodlawn)
The second area in which we (really, I) need help is in developing this year's rubric. Some initial thoughts that are guiding where I'm heading with this year's scoring system:
- There are two significantly different burger types - thin, fried (think Steak 'n' Shake-style) - or thicker, grilled style (chargrilled, big, thick things). Do I need to have separate scoring for the burger types?
- How do I rate the fries? Hot vs cold, sure. Spice v not spiced? What about thick vs thin fries? Battered (a la Rally's) or plain?
- What kind of 'environment' score needs to be around? I know the place needs to be clean, but a bunch of the places are older, neighborhood places that aren't supposed to be white and clean and shiny. Do they get knocked down?
- How many points should be 'burger' vs 'fries' vs 'environment'? I'm thinking burger and fries should be higher points because that's what we're looking for.
- Do I have to order the same burger everytime? If so, what burger - cheese, cheese & bacon, plain?
- How do toppings count in the whole scoring system? Do I go for the most complicated burger they offer?
- Do we have to go a couple of times - once for a plain burger, once for a complicated topped burger?
- Are points earned if they offer choice of how to cook the burger (medium-well, rare, whatever)?
- What about drinks? Do I just hit the diet coke every time, or do we go with a vanilla shake? Either way it has to be consistent, but I don't know whether to include drinks.
- Hamburger Lonnie's
- Nati Patties
- Queen City Burgers
- Burgers and ChemGuys
- The Year of Living Burgishly
- ChemGuy and The Girl Looking for the Best Burger and Fries in the Cincinnati and Dayton Area With Maybe Some Stops Along the I-75 Corridor Between the Two Cities
- Where to go?
- How to score?
- What to call it?