August 15, 2014

Community Power Study

At least week's OEA (Ohio Education Association, doncha know) summer training, we went through an activity in which we tried to map out some basic knowledge about our various local school districts so that we could more successfully organize our members. I'm embarrassed to admit how much trouble I had in filling out the form about Princeton.

So I turn to you guys, many of whom are Princeton folks, to see if you can help me with some of the answers. I'll put my early answers in italics.
  • What are the major celebrations and festivals in your community?
    • Sharonville - St John's Fest, SharonFest
    • Lincoln Heights - Heritage Days
    • Evendale - ???
    • Springdale - ???
    • Woodlawn - ???
    • Glendale - Black Squirrel 5K 
  • What are the community's slogans and mascots? Who are the best known members of your community?
    • Slogans?
    • Mascots - Princeton Vikings, all the elementary schools are Little Vikes, I think
    • Best known - Isley Brothers, Roger Troutman, ??  
  • Does your community value its history? How so?
    • Each community is very protective of their own identity, their own history.
    • How so? ??? 
  • What are the core values of your community?
    • Family...survival (sometimes short-term)...
  • What is the main economic source of the community (e.g., light manufacturing, farming, heavy industry, service industries, etc.)
    • GE aircraft engines, Ford transmission, light industry, service 
  • What is the economic structure of the community served by the school district? (rough percentages)
    • $32K & below, $32K-$60K, $60K-$120K, $120K & above
      • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
  • Percentage of residents who work in the community (rough percentages)
      • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
  • Age (rough percentages)
    • 0-18, 18-30, 30-65, 65+
      • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
  • Education (rough percentages)
    • less than high school, high school graduate, some college, BA/BS, advanced
      • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
  • Political party index (rough percentages)
    • democratic, republican, independent 
      • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
    • Are there specific political organizations that have power in your community?
      • ???
  • What is the ethnic breakdown of the community served by the school district?
    • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
    • I can make some guesses based on the breakdown of the high school, but I don't know that it's entirely representative of the district population as a whole. 
  • What is the approximate number of households in the community?
    • ??????????? Where the heck could I even look this up?
  • What are the main retail business centers (and locations) of the community? Where are intersections with high vehicle traffic?
    • Tri County area, Fields Ertel area, Glendale-Milford & Reading Rd intersection...???
  • Where do people congregate? Where would be an appropriate place for flyer distribution or bannering?
    • ???

No comments: