March 21, 2006

iTunes gets the French kiss-off

Looks like France is being all French again.

This time they're working on passing legislation that would force Apple to be more open with their iTunes music format. The law still has one more house - the French equilivent to the Senate - to pass before it's fully law, but things look promising. If the law passes, iPods would have to be opened to playing formats other than Apple's proprietary format, and iTunes would have to play on mp3 players other than just iPods.

I'm not entirely sure whether those things would be good ideas or not. I'm going to have to think about this for a bit...

To get some other coverage of the story, check out PC Pro or ABC News - each offers a slightly different spin on things.

Oh, and yes, I am enjoying my snow day. Are you?

1 comment:

PHSChemGuy said...

I would think so. The iPod is the industry standard not just because iTunes but because it's a great design (visually and technically).