May 20, 2006

Musical movie magic...

No theater time for me today...got lots of work done instead...and also picked up a few things from the library, including Munich which is about an hour and a half in but apparently too late for my wife, so there's been a pause...

Today's fully entertaining link is movie.com's list of the greatest movie soundtracks.

My quick hitters...
  • #23 - Royal Tannenbaums - loved the movie, dug the soundtrack in context, haven't given it a chance as a disc...could be loads of fun, though
  • #22 - Forest Gump - great selection of hits from a whole spread of eras...it's not one I'd love to have, but if I was teaching some sort of history class and using the music, this'd be the one choice...
  • #21 - 8 Mile - first one I actually own...great soundtrack..."Lose Yourself" is phenomenal...a bunch of the rest of the songs are also high quality...
  • #20 - Garden State - high, high rotation for me...I'd argue it's the best soundtrack at least of the last decade...picture perfect merging of the music and the story...Braf picked the songs personally...
  • #19 - The Big Chill - I remember this one from my high school years...good selection of oldies...nice and not offensive to anybody...not that I want to own it, though...
  • #18 - Melody - first one I've never heard of...Bee Gees and CSNY?...that's not a combo I'm thinking of pleasantly...
  • #16 - Grosse Pointe Blank - great movie...the soundtrack actually left me a little flat when I checked it from the 'bary a while back...nice time capsule but not of an era that I'm thrilled with...
  • #12 - The Crow - another period piece...I'll take Singles over it, though...it's good stuff...from a crappy movie...
  • #11 - Kill Bill, Vol 1 - second soundtrack that I own on this list...another one that I have in heavy rotation...the blips and blobs at the end are a bit annoying, though...
  • #8 - Pulp Fiction - third one I own...a total and absolute staple of college life...and a rockinly great soundtrack...we all love it...
  • #7 - The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - absolute blast...highlights are the Wilco, Flaming Lips, Ween, and the Shins...but the rest of fun, too...I didn't buy it, but I've got a copy from a friend...well, Desmond...quality grownup kids music...
  • #4 - I Am Sam - movie looked way too sappy for me to give it a try...the soundtrack was, I though, weak...I understand that the filmmaker had the whole movie cut together using the Beatles origins and had to scramble to find versions that were exactly the same length as the originals when the negotiations broke down, but the originals were better...
  • #1 - Less Than Zero - I don't know this soundtrack, but I'm willing to give it a try based on its finish...I had Pulp Fiction down as my guess for #1, but apparently it's not to be...

2 comments:

ame said...

I have the royal tennanbaums cd, same as you, loved it in context, not thrilled with the disc though.

PHSChemGuy said...

doesn't surprise me, Ame...mind if I give it a listen next time I'm in town?

J-Ged...dude, I am a man of many and varied tastes...