October 31, 2007

Get your word on

It's a fun li'l game - Free Rice....

They show a word and ask what the word means. You pick from the four meanings. Get it right, and you get a harder word next time. Get it wrong, and you get an easier word. After a few words, you get a tally in the bottom right corner telling you your vocab level. More words right, a higher vocab level.

I tend to hover around 40-41 most of the time. If I happen upon the right word or two, I can bounce up to my high score (shown up top) of level 44, but generally I don't make it much higher than a 42 or so.

If you get lots of words wrong, you get down to level one - as shown at the bottom.

And in the process, it generates some donation of rice for folks that can use it. All the donations come via the ads that appear at the bottom of the site. The more you play, the more ads pop up. The more you get right, the bigger the donation. And as far as my research finds, it's connected to poverty.com which seems to be on the up and up.

Yet another novel step toward solving a pretty big problem. Use people's willingness to play games to get some real work done. I've mentioned my digging of this concept before.

Have some fun...do some good...try to avoid this...

9 comments:

DanEcht said...

No fair...I totally blogged on this two days ago. It's a great concept, though.

PHSChemGuy said...

'Cause I'm supposed to know when you're going to drop a blog post...

DanEcht said...

Well, I have your blog on RSS feed...

coldnorthgamer said...

After 41 correct words, my vocab level is 48. I did not expect to score higher than you, though I feel I should do 100 correct words to get a more accurate assessment. I should have time this weekend.

PHSChemGuy said...

You've slaughtered me, dude...100 correct words would be a lot of charity done...and might be fun...though the words do start to repeat after a while...

coldnorthgamer said...

I did make it to 100 correct words; I had a lot of free time with the ladies away for the weekend. I didn't get any repeat words, though, and my score ended up at 39. I had sunk all the way down to 37 before bringing it back up at the end. It seemed to be easy to go down on a single incorrect word, but then it takes a lot of correct words in a row to gain a level. I'm glad you talked about the site; normally, I ignore most of the games you mention as I don't have the time.

coachsullivan said...

Dang...my first shot and I'm tapped out at 37. What the hell is wrong with me? Aaarrggghh.

coachsullivan said...

40. I'm calling it a night.

PHSChemGuy said...

40 isn't too shabby...it's enough to not have to hang your head, Sully...