November 23, 2009

Friday Night Carols


It's been a long week at Lake Woebegon...

The morning classes have been thrown into a tizzy with OGT (our state tests) practice tests all week long but with a half dozen non-sophomores in each morning class still in need of some educating.

We've had field trips and tests and all sorts of other distractions from the regular routine, and that's made for a pretty unsettled atmosphere around room 519 for a while now.

By the time Friday rolled around, I was fully and ready to head home, collapse, and not think about school for a few days.  Mid-terms grades were due Sunday evening, so the sabbath was mostly spent grading (and avoiding grading as much as possible, sorry AP folks, still no notebooks).

But Friday night...

Friday night was different.

Friday night was redemptive and wonderful and absolutely spectacular.

I got to hang out with some of the more impressive, good hearted, open, welcoming, intelligent, funny, talented young people that I've known in a while as they waited to record their five minutes of fame for the My64 Holiday Carols show.

They were scheduled to sing right at nine, but technical hurdles pushed all the choirs back by at least half an hour, meaning I got to hang out in the middle of Emma, Laura, Andrea, Jared, Becky, Frank, Andrew, Irene, Vicki, Jamie, Ligaya, Heather, and a bunch of other Princeton A Capella choir members for almost a full hour, joking with them, debating who would win in a fight between the Hulk and Wolverine, taking their pictures, and just generally reveling in my luck of getting to know these folks.

Admittedly, I'm sure that the setting - the remodeled Fountain Square - helped with the gorgeously well-lit Genius of Water, the colorful lights behind the statue, the 'snow' machine pumping out bubbles or flakes or whatever, the wrapped presents, the Grater's ice cream, and the general first feelings of Christmas cheer, but that's neither here nor there.

It's evenings like Friday that make me cherish the home that I've found at Princeton High School, the position that I've fallen into as the webguy who's always kind of around taking photos, and the young people that I'm lucky enough to get to know, teach, and hang out with.

Check out the photos if you're interested.

Oh, and major thanks to The Girl who went down to Fountain Square with me but headed off on her own to kill time knowing that I was in my element and would enjoy myself more without having to entertain her, to Calen for hiring me, and to My64 for using such awesome television lights that I didn't have any problem getting clear photos in spite of the evening darkness.

2 comments:

calencoriel said...

Best decision I ever made...

PHSChemGuy said...

Yeah, it's pretty high on my list, too.