April 30, 2010

Merry Economic Melodies...

Today I present three Merry Melodies...the first three of which were commissioned by the Alfred P Sloan Foundation to teach folks the joys of the capitalist/free market system...

I swear that the first one came up naturally in conversation after school yesterday...and I had to go hunting it down to prove that it existed.  Here's "Yankee Dood It".



It's from Wikipedia - of course - that I learned about the Alfred P Sloan Foundation connection...which lead me to "Heir Conditioned".  (The only embed I could find comes from a Russian website, and connection is pretty slow.  If you're interested in watching it, click play, pause it, let it load, and come back in a couple of minutes.)



I also found out that the Sloan Foundation's third commission was "By Word of Mouse".


Vezi mai multe video din Animatie

When I mentioned these three cartoons to Doug Studer - my neighboring teacher - to explain my reference to him perhaps leaving his broken shoes out over night for the elves to fix, one of his students mentioned the cartoon "I Love to Singa" as his favorite, so I close with that one. 

And, honestly, it's the most entertaining of the three because it doesn't have a thing to do with economics.

2 comments:

TL said...

I adore "I Love to Singa". My husband had never seen it, so we watched it a few months ago. My sister and I used to mimic bits of it when we were kids. We've got a bunch of older cartoons, but what I'd really like is a definitive collection of both Merry Melodies and Silly Symphonies, both of which have their shining stars.
We found the anti-Nazi Donald Duck cartoon and my daughter watched it with us... I so hoped she wouldn't mention it in daycare. The last thing I need is a teacher calling me up and asking why my pre-schooler was singing songs with "sieg heil" in the lyrics... (It's called In The Fuhrer's Face)

PHSChemGuy said...

The Merry Melodies and Silly Symphonies are pretty well brilliant all around.

Isn't "The Fuhrer's Face" by Spike Jones and his City Slickers? Apparently they're slightly separate things...