September 15, 2010

Mellencamp's newest cash grab/boxed set...

I'm stupidly tempted to buy John Mellencamp's newest boxed set - the four-cd package called On the Rural Route 7609.  It's the few rarities that are on the set that tempt me: "Jenny at 16", "Jack and Diane (demo version)", "Authority Song (demo)", and fourteen others.  All those rarities would make for an excellent rarities cd.

Sure, interspersed with three more cds worth of album cuts (mostly avoiding his big hits), they apparently make for a good, thematically-designed boxed set, but even Mellencamp's official website admits that means rebuying forty songs that I already have.  And I just don't need that many duplicate copies of Mellencamp's songs.

Especially not at $78.19 on Amazon or $89.95 through Mellencamp's official online store.

At $28.90 through Amazon's digital download store, I'm a little more tempted.

What I really want, though, is for the library to get the boxed set so I can illegally grab the songs I want.

Heck, I'd even settle for being able to find the torrent of the boxed set, but not yet.

No comments: