June 6, 2012

Gimme a little something...

...if you want me to give you my business.

This past week I got a simple postcard advertisement in the mail for Portable Miniature Golf.

The card was addressed to resident, so it appears that I'm not on any miniature-golf-specific mailing list, or at least that this advertisement didn't come from such a mailing list...which kind of surprises me, honestly.

The postcard, however, isn't today's story. Today's story is the website that the postacrd lead me to. Here's a screencap...


The top header has three rotating images - the one shown, a closeup of a kid trying to blow a golf ball into the hole, and a closeup of the green and hole with no context. So those other photos don't give us any more information than does the rest of the page.

I like the general layout of the page, particularly the simple background imagery. The black, green, and yellow makes for an attractive enough presentation, and the use of the light grey in the bottom right draws the eye to the pricing request form, the real meat of the page.

In general, there's not much else on the page, however, and that bugs me a little. I want to see the quality of the hole construction. I want to see if the various holes have any bumpers, any obstacles - like the one we maybe see in the header picture on the right. I want to see people standing next to the course so I can see what a 12' long hole two looks like. I want to see the pencils, scorecards, balls[,] & putters that they say they provide.

I guess they're assuming people don't want to know that stuff, that they assume people will sign up having not seen the holes in any detail. I'm hoping their business model is working, but the lack of detail is driving me nuts. Gimme some sort of photo album of people at the church festivals, corporate events, and the birthday parties. Lemme see that you've put a little work into making the hole frames sturdy. Show me that your carpet is nice, clean, unworn, and evenly, firmly glued down.

Of course I'm crabbing about their website with absolutely no intention of ever being one of their customers unless I hit the lottery.

No comments: