June 3, 2012

Odds and sods

Three things I want to mention...
  • It's killing me to decide whether I'm rooting for or against Novak Djokovic. The three outcomes that are most likely at Roland Garros..
    • Rafael Nadal wins, giving him seven titles, more than any other player in the Open era. I don't want this to happen. I don't find Nadal's tennis pretty to watch. It's brutal and no fun....maybe 55% chance of this outcome.
    • Novak Djokovic wins, making him only the second man in the Open era to hold all four grand slam titles. I'm okay with this happening. This is my second choice outcome. Maybe 35% chance of this outcome.
    • Roger Federer wins, adding one to his record total, making him the second-oldest man to win a Grand Slam title in the Open era. This is easily the outcome that I'm desperately hoping for but that is by far the least likely of the three.  Maybe 5% chance of this outcome.
    • When I saw that Djokovic went down two sets to none to start today's match against Andreas Seppi, I was initially giddy because I know a Djokovic loss makes it much more likely that Federer will make the finals because he has to meet Djokovic in the semis otherwise, but it also makes it much more likely that Nadal will win the title, something I really don't want to watch next Sunday morning.
  • I really like following the NCAA D1 baseball tourney scores. Go Vandy...Go Appalachain St...Go Dallas Baptist...Go Creighton...Go St John's...Go Stony Brook
  • In case you - like I - were curious about who gets to play in the Olympic tennis events, here are the qualifying details - including why a player from Liechtenstein will be playing and how the qualifications will change for at least the women for the 2016.

No comments: