August 31, 2005

The Big Not-so-Easy...

Looks like New Orleans is a near-total loss. Looting and shooting, fires and building collapses, overflowing toilets in the Superdome with more people being dropped off there.

Cats and dogs living together, we're talking real Old Testament stuff here.

I once had an offer to live in my aunt's house in Miami for a year while she was out of the country for a job. My first concern was that I had made a conscious effort in my life to steer clear of Hurricane Alley and didn't see any reason to reverse that course. After seeing the devistation in New Orleans, there's been absolutely no reason for me to reverse that course.

There's been doubts for years as to whether the River should even be flowing through New Orleans anymore, but now it appears that the River and the Lake have taken New Orlens for their own. God luck, folks...

1 comment:

PHSChemGuy said...

The devestation continues to mount and mount...

...entire gun collection from new Wal-Mart looted...policeman shot in the head trying to stop looters...

...city to be totally evacuated for months...

...Superdome housing 25,000 people - all of whom are being removed 350 miles to the Astrodome where the schedule has been cleared for months for refugees...475 buses in the convoy...

...thousands estimated dead...

..."Hundreds of people appeared to have spent the night on a crippled highway"...

And I got an email from Tony Horton - our school's former athletic trainer and a good friend - today that said that he'd be heading to New Orleans as part of a medical response team - planning to be gone for 10 days. On one hand, I wish him luck and health and safety...on the other hand, I simply can't wait to talk to him once he gets back so I can hear the stories, because I can't imagine what the destruction and devistation must be like.

I am thankful for what I have, however, and I'm awfully lucky...