August 17, 2005

My other love...

Architecture was the field that I was going into before I chose teaching. Until I was a sophomore in high school, architect was my standard answer to the What do you want to be when you grow up? question. Then, somwhere along the way, I found out I was going to be a teacher, that's just who I was and still am...but I digress...

I still love and appreciate architecture, finding myself reading architecture books, watching specials about architecture, and just enjoying the sight of a beautiful building. Which is why - a year or so ago - I dropped $10.99 on a total impulse buy at the Target check out line on the softcover Time: Great Buildings of the World. It's a pretty cool book with two-page spreads on dozens of the greatest buildings in the world. And I thought I'd give a shout out to some of my favorites in flipping through the book...

First up, the Taj Mahal...the Guggenheim in NYC...Salisbury Cathedral...Shirasagijo Castle...all of Brasilia...the Millenium Bridge in London...Angkor Wat...la Sagrada Familia...Monticello...Fallingwater...Target in Montreal...Pompidou Centre...Jewish Museum of Berlin...Guggenheim Biblao...Experience Music Project...Burj al-Arab Tower Hotel (as shown on the right)...Milwaukee Art Museum...Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank Tower...Petronas Towers...Thorncrown Chapel...and the book closes with Tail o' the Pup...

No comments: