August 2, 2005

Give a Little, Get a Lot...

At my high school, we do a yearly fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lyphoma Society called Pasta for Pennies. We've been pretty successful, as I think I've mentioned before, raising over $140,000 in our six years with the program, even finishing first in the nation in 2005.

Through my involvement in the fund-raiser (I've gotten my class as high as second-most per capita money raised the past two years and sahved my head in a lost bet the year before, and I now co-chair the campaign at our school), I've really come to hold this cause close to my heart. We've had patient heroes - kids who suffer from leukemia - out the past year to speak about the disease, and it's tough to listen to the mother of a four-year old explain that she had to hold her daughter down while the doctors did a spinal tap, to hear another mother tell the statistics of the 4000+ pills her son has taken since his diagnosis.

And I've begun to become involved in helping out in ways outside of the campaign in little ways - going to the national School & Youth conference this summer to present ideas on how other schools could do as well as my school has been able to, signing up for the Light the Night walk in Butler County where I live on September 24th. I'll be raising funds here and there as best I can to help out the cause and offering my help in setting up anything they need help with.

It's a cause that I'd ask you to take a moment and check out. It's a tough one to pass up once you begin to learn about it.

Thanks...and I'll try to keep the wholesome posts to a minimum, don't worry...

No comments: