January 22, 2008

Bow to the white space

It's a busy time 'round here with Pasta for Pennies starting, so the next few posts may be a bit on the short side.

Don't worry about me abandoning you, but certain chosen pressures get to take prescendence over other self-imposed pressures from time to time.

Today I give you two links, both related to my web and design thoughts.

Up first is a how-to on making a very cheap macro studio for taking awesome closeups of your favorite li'l things. I'm thinking this'll come in handy this summer as I get out the various Viking Legos and start snapping away.

Then there's the design blog of Andy Rutledge in which he discusses some conventions in web design and reworks some very major website front pages. I'm totally sold on his redesign of ebay, not so much on Google, but his White House Redux is outstanding.

Plus his site is very well laid out.

If you have any interest in web design - designing your own homepage to be most effective - then this site has some amazing pieces to read. I'll be perusing the archives pretty thoroughly, myself, as we look into some redesign of my major website.

Oh, and major bonus points to anybody who can reveal the source of the today's blog-side image.

2 comments:

achilles3 said...

wow wow wow
that andy cat is right on!

the wall street journal redux is excellent!

thanks chemguy

PHSChemGuy said...

I love his ideas about web design. Love them...