January 31, 2011

Making a little less space in my life

Two spaces...after every period, two spaces.

My mom taught me that when I was in high school - or maybe in junior high. Every time you type a period, you immediately follow it up with two spaces. That's the rule.

Or, as it appears, it was the rule. Nowadays, it appears that the new rule is one space after every period, and I'm having trouble making the adjustment.

I get the reasoning and all. Back when all of the fonts were monospace - equally spaced for every character (right down to the periods and commas, the i's and the m's), and the two spaces were needed to clarify a sentence break. Now that we're living the future - typing phones, texting televisions, flying cars, waffling irons - most of the fonts are proportionally typeset which means we don't need the two spaces any more.

I'll be trying to break the habit, but I'll freely admit that it's been a struggle so far and probably will continue to be so.          Don't say I can't learn.                                         I'm no old dog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you've been so far behind the times. I believe I started using one space after periods shortly after graduating college. I don't remember who pointed it out to me, but I do remember looking it up somewhere or was given a writing guide at work or something.

PHSChemGuy said...

I tend to come at lessons in my own speed. Often when things are pointed out to me if I don't come to them myself, I ignore the advice.

Mumford & Sons is one recent example of that.