January 13, 2006

Today's random iTunes from home...

Let's get right to it...I'll comment along the way...
"Rita Ballou" by Guy Clark
Nice outlaw country, upbeat tune...got turned on to Guy Clark thanks to Lyle Lovett's Step Inside This House album - one of my favorite cds
"The Rocky Road to Dublin" by Dropkick Murphys
I like the combination fo Celtic punk...these guys are out of Boston and have some nice takes on old folks tunes
"Stir it Up" by Bob Marley
Marley always makes me think of college spring days with the fratenity music system dragged to the front porch and blasting across campus...I remember the days fondly, but most of the Legend album kinda leaves me cold
"She Answers the Sun" by Paul Kelly
Kelly doesn't get a lot of play here in the US, but his Words and Music album was one that I picked up from the library at random...it's a great listen, and this song is especially good
"Night Herding Song" by Don Edwards
Don Edwards came to me from the tune "Coyote" from the preview for Grizzley Man...grabbed a greatest hits...I love the western songs, and his voice is great
"Dirty Laundry" by Don Henley
It was the 80's, what can I say?...it's got a nice beat, you can dance to it, I give it a 75, Dick...
"Rastaman Chant" by Bob Marley & Busta Rhymes
The modern trend of taking dead singers and laying tracks over the top of them sometimes works...on this album, it's a little hit or miss...this song's okay...others are better...
"The Summer Wind" by Frank Sinatra
Ol' Blue Eyes...I'm not a massive fan, but I can't imagine that anybody's music collection could be complete without a little ring-a-ding-ding...
"To Beat the Devil" by Kris Kristofferson
There was a time when he was - apparently - the biggest thing in the world...movie star, country star, songwriter of the times...his Kristofferson album is a nice snapshot of that time and includes some knockouts...
"Kick Some A**" by Stroke 9
The real title doesn't have those stars, admittedly, but this is linked from my school page...the soundtrack to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back has some real kick butt songs...great stuff...
Perhaps tomorrow there'll be fun links here...For now, it's off to see Brokeback Mountain...have a good long weekend, folks...

No comments: