- Katydid pointed out the coolness of downloading a Wilco song in exchange for your promise to vote in the coming election. She's kinda awesome.
- The Girl and I continue to try to be better to the world, and we've moved to eating seafood that is supposedly friendly to the oceans. Here's Monterey Bay Aquarium's site which has the list that we've started using. We need to print it out, but we haven't gotten that far. She did buy shrimp from Texas at The Jungle this weekend (at $10.99 per pound for about fifteen shrimp) instead of the Asian shrimp that are much smaller but about $9.99 for a two-pound bag. It's not without cost - including never getting to eat sea bass (my favorite fish) again - but it's something that's worth doing for us.
- Forbes's list of Best American Colleges came out recently - as pointed out by Coach Sullivan (thanks, man). Wabash College (my awesome alma mater) came in at a solid twelve overall. The methods are a little different from those of US News, but I like these rankings way better. If ever you had any doubt as to how awesome Wabash is, let those doubts disappear.
- I'm likely to get a nearly totally blind student in my chemistry classes next year, and I'm at a loss as to how to deal with that. But I am finding - sometimes through The Girl - more and more cool books designed to help sighted people experience a little bit of what blindness could be like.
- I love Entertainment Weekly's lists. But I hate the manner in which they typically present them: single-slide-per-entry lists that you have to click your way through. Some of the lists - the 100 new classic movies, for example, are so cool that they must be clicked through, however.
- Ah, a local Hamilton boy gets told to take off his makeup. I know the male assistance principal mentioned, and I'm fairly familiar with the district. This is a total non-story that managed to bumble its way to cnn's website. Meh.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle via Bedrock Industries with their glass tiles and mulch.
- I finally got around to winning Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the Wii and then went striahgt for the cheat codes so I could see all the rockin' outfits and powers that I hadn't taken the time to unlock yet. The game is now even more awesome even though I don't really have any bad guys to fight anymore.
- Funny stuff happens in Middletown sometimes.
- The photo up top is of Hollis Thomas, former N'awlins defensive tackle. I can't link to the site that I found it, but it's a funny picture, i'nit?
October 2, 2008
All of these have been sitting around gathering dust while I tried to come up with full posts about them, but no such posts have been coming, so you get a catch-all post...