October 14, 2008

Perhaps I spoke too soon

So, Jean Schmidt is the US Rep from the 2nd Congressional district, and she was tagged in a hit-and-run over the weekend. She was out running in the foggy morning twilight, and the hit-and-runner whomped her into a ditch before driving onward.

Seems her independent opponent, David Kirkorian, had some doubts about the veracity of Representative Schmidt's story:
"Um, I’m going to say, we are – how do I put this – elements of the representative’s story do not add up," Krikorian said. "There is no way that at 6 a.m. in the morning, or 5:45 in the morning, she claims that a car was approaching her and it didn’t slow down. I’m assuming that it had its headlights on before it hit her, she turns her back. Two things that don’t make sense to me – One, she said she thought it was a gray car and a man was driving it. And I don’t see how you could make that assertion when it’s pitch black, foggy, and the headlights are facing her. You can’t tell what color the car is, and you certainly can’t tell who’s driving the car, especially if you turn your back.

“Secondly, she claims the car must have damage to it, based on it hitting her, yet apparently she was undamaged. All I can say is, you don’t get hit by a vehicle and walk away from it, and the vehicle has damage to it. I don’t see how she can make that assertion. I’ve talked to a lot of people who think the story’s phony. I’m not saying the story’s phony, but a lot of people out there think it is. And we’re looking into it.”

Then, after being informed of today's news, that Schmidt has two broken vertebra and two broken ribs:

“Well, that would certainly be new information that would then corroborate her story. But Jean Schmidt has a history of issues with the truth, and you know, I certainly don’t want to make an assertion where there’s none to be made, and the way it was initially reported in the paper doesn’t make a whole lot of sense."

"Now it makes sense. I had not heard that before. Now it seems like maybe she was hit. You can’t get hit by a car and not suffer injuries. Now we’re hearing reports that she did in fact suffer injuries, and if that’s the case, I wish her a speedy recovery.”
My favorite part there is how nasty and spiteful he was before "being informed of today's news, that Schmidt has two broken vertebra and two broken ribs."

Commence backpeddle...

Classy, man, very classy...

2 comments:

TL said...

As a man who obviously doesn't like her very much, you think he'd totally buy that someone was aiming to turn her into a brand new hood ornament!

PHSChemGuy said...

True...if you hate her that much, you would think it'd be fine that somebody tried to plow her over and say so...